Ableton’s Operator instrument represents an extremely powerful set of tools for creating your own sounds. Unfortunately, much of the instructional material relating to Operator & FM synthesis doesn’t really explain how it works in a way that doesn’t involve lots of math and theory while still showing how it can actually be used. This Ableton Live tutorial series will solve that problem for you, teaching through practical application just how amazing and yet easy to use FM synthesis can be.
…I’m half way through the Operator series and already I feel like I know a universe more about synth than I did earlier this morning. You’re an excellent teacher and I couldn’t be happier with your tutorials. – Joel Golden
Operator allows the sound designer the ultimate flexibility in creating a timbre from virtually nothing, hand-shaping individual harmonic overtones to create amazingly rich sounds that can be further mixed through various algorithms. With this series, you can learn how to harness this power in a way that is both intuitive and creative.
You’ll start the basic theory of how sound is generated in Operator, then move from some basic sounds all the way through complex FM patches featuring tons of modulation. Through fun and practical application you’ll be empowered to create your own, personalized sounds. This knowledge will serve you far into the future, and will be applicable even beyond Operator and Ableton Live.
Here are just a few of the things you will learn to create through these videos:
- Dynamic drumtracks being generated by just one Operator
- Thick bass instruments that work well in any mix
- Simulations of the modified and abused devices featuring tons of emotive expression
- Exotic soundscapes that shimmer and morph over time
- Percussion and stabs that you can slot into any drum track to take it to the next level
- Alien soundscapes that are just as useful in music as they are in movie soundtracks
Additionally, you receive:
- Easy to understand explanations of how timbres are built from the ground up
- Comprehensive coverage of Operator’s interface in a way that relates the parameters to one another in a sensible way
- Screenshots of macro mappings so that you can easily follow along with creating the sounds in the video tutorials
- Preset instrument racks containing the instruments created in the videos
I’m pouring over your operator tutorials and I cannot believe how much i’m learning. In addition, I am grateful for how methodically (and with clarity) you have broken down subject matter to be understood and applied so easily to a musical context. Thank you. - Milo D.
Level: Beginner to Advanced